Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sleep Forever, Forever Sleep

Wouldn’t it be nice to sleep
forever and a day…..

That’s lots of time to dream of things
that make you smile, like chicken wings
and mashed potatoes, chocolate tarts
bubble baths, a good ripe fart.

And think of all the things you could
avoid by sleeping! No more “Would
you kindly take the garbage out?”
Sorry Dad, I’m not allowed.

I’m sleeping now. Can’t you see?
I won’t be done till half past three
on the day that comes behind
“Forever”…That is when I’ll rise
and look about my dusty room
at all the toys untouched, unstrewn.

I’ll think Oh no! What have I done.
I’ve missed my life, I’ve slept through fun.
I’m old and weak and knobby kneed.
I can’t jump rope or climb tall trees!

Dreaming isn’t quite the same
As real life, and so I’ll change
My mind about this sleeping thing.
Instead I’ll stay awake and sing
Forever and an extra day
Wouldn’t it be nice to…play?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home